Monday, June 05, 2006

A Trip to Hermann

The invitation came in a thick cream envelope, and in the hand of a friend. I remembered that she had been pessimistic about this place on her first visit, more than a year ago. This time the pessimism was mine, for a different reason. I come from farms, from rolling countryside. I know it isn't romantic. I don't like mud, or biting insects, or long periods in the sun, or sleeping under the stars. I have a stubborn fondness for indoor plumbing and hot water. But the friend who gave me the invitation promised guest houses and good food, so on Saturday we threw drinks and lawn chairs into the car and headed out to our destination.

We arrived to see the Harpist, sitting under the tree, harp between his legs, playing 'The Ash Grove'. He told us that the others were inside, eating cheese and cracker for lunch. We went and introduced ourselves to the few who had arrived. Within the hour we were down at the creak. Something of the child had been released in me, I climbed a tree (despite the heels), and paddled in the stream (having tied my skirt up). One person fell in, the cows lowed, alarmed by the interruption. We lost Teabringer down there for two hours and he found snakes, Cray fish and minnows.

Our host took us on tractor rides (a tiny 4x4 in reality), and let one of the party drive. I sat for a long time taking with The Harpist, and he looked through my music and played for me while I sang. Dinner was served as a thunderstorm passed by to the North. Many of the people cooking also write for Sauce, and the spread was magnificent. We ate and drank. As the sun set we all moved towards the newly-lit fire and sat around it. I tried some of Transylvanian Dutch's white port. Papers, flies and musical instruments emerged. Everyone who had been invited had a talent to offer.

Readings and music went into the night. The red sparks from the fire drifted to join the steady stars in the sky. Lighting bugs flashed to their own music in the prairie. The frogs in the creak were audible from the farmhouse.

We left a little before
midnight, after the host had gone to bed and the party was winding down. And I knew that we were lucky to have found such great friends here.

No comments: