Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Spring Cleaning

Of mind and house needs to be done. Over the last couple of weeks the sun has shone through the windows revealing corners in need of scrubbing, and every time I open a cupboard or drawer I'm aware that they need bottoming out. My trouble is where to start - the library is worst, probably because I essentially live in this room, despite having a whole house.

Writing also needs something of a spring clean. I have 15 (!) short stories to finish, and 8 to re-send; although I have no markets selected. I'm also about halfway through the agent query process now, with seven sent of about 15 (there are still a couple I haven't decided about). I should also sort my rejections and acceptances into some sort of filing system which is viable for the long term. At the moment I have a plastic envelope which is beginning to bulge. For the first time yesterday I fantasised about a filing cabinet.

My copies of The Blotter Rag arrived, so they are with the Kinships Magazine awaiting Wanderings before I organise and send one copy of each home...see? My piles of paper have piles of paper.

I should also write letters. The Doctors are having a baby, the English-American is getting married and I have any number of letters from friends which should have been replied to already.

This need to spring clean was precipitated, I think, by the arrival of the wonderful new monitor, which resulted in the computer-graveyard effect in the library. I have found the old one a home, but it is the last level of mess I can stand. Tonight I have a meeting, but tomorrow I think I will start organising.

The garden is beautiful, though. Everything is coming back to life. We're going to put in a new bed outside the living room window.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.