Monday, April 10, 2006

Mostly on writing

I enjoyed having Teabringer's Mum to stay, I got to do lots of nice things. Now it's back to it. I have lots I want to acomplish in the next couple of months. I'm enjoying the land of short story, but suspect I'm now dodging the main event - namely the novel. There will be much more of it very soon. I need to overcome my fear of becoming entangled in my own plot and just get on with it. There seems to be a point in every novel where the writer becomes disenchanted or just overwhelmed. It sems to me that there is a point where the is so much depth and possible direction for so many charaters that one is at a loss to select whose story is the important one and which plotline needs to be told first. I'm going to try and plunge into it and see what happens. If it dies in the attempt, so be it. I know I have to kill a major charater. I know I have to say some tings that will be contraversial. So be it, I have not chosen to write popcorn novels for a reason. I do, however, have a cracking good idea for a short story for tomorrow. Vampire based, but that's how it goes sometimes. Anarkey says she likes Vampire stuff anyway, so I won't have lost all my audience. As Teabringer wants to write tonight, I may well do the same.

On a bright note I'm managing the 'submit one thing a week' resolution I made (after Transylvanian Dutch) in January. If I can keep this up as well as completing Black's Magic I will be doing very well in terms of production. I think my marketing skills are still wanting. I seem to do best on days when I'm feeling a little cynical; perhaps the editors empathise.

I'm hoping this week will be a little more normal. I don't seem to have settled down to do any real work in a long time. I'm also missing what used to be a regular schedule of callers and calls. I suspect this is mostly my fault for being so erratic in the past few months. I am still determined to do better.

SoStL on Wednesday. Promises to be a great game, I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

John said...

I like vampires too. (though my experience with them comes only from Stephen King, Anne Rice, Charles Baudelaire, Bram Stoker, and Mage)

I'm glad to hear that you are keeping up with the one-a-week, as it's good somebody is. I have lousy discipline though.