Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Social Animal

I had no idea this weekend would involve so many people. We had a great time, although we only really managed to stop to breathe this evening. Friday I went out with a whole crowd of people to lunch in forest park before going for a pleasant walk and doing a little writing in the sun. Friday night we went out with COG to Smitty's over in Chesterfield (long drive, but there we are). The following was written on the back of a napkin at about 10.30:

"Smells like a real bar" A rare compliament from Teabringer. It was packed solid too, with proper barstools and even a little tablesharing. Smitty's was something like a taste of home. Even down to the wait staff. The guy who picked the bar knew one of the waitresses, but given the paranoia he'd spent hours (possibly days) culitvating, he left after food arrived to secure further tables for late arrivals. We didn't see the waitress again until we rejoined him.

Several long, pained looks emerged over the course of the evening. COG is not fond of noise. It likes to talk and doesn't react well to having it's carefully constructed soundwaves polluted. The music only got louder. And the band arrived. More Looks were shared.

We moved closer to the band to accomodate our host. We sat far to close to the speaker. It was loud. Very loud. And they kicked off with country music. "When do we throw the bottles?" I asked. "When they play Rawhide" said Teabringer.

They were actually very good, and there were no more country numbers (to be fair country music has its merits, I just have a limited supply of morose in me on a Friday night). A stereotypical all male band: Lead guitar played by a man who looked like he spent slightly more time than is healthy rehersing. Lead singer the good looking guy who made enough jokes in poor taste to put off any sane woman. And the shy, true musician on bass.

We were a tough table to win over. And we sat in the front row. They did a good job.


Saturday saw an enjoyable day at the zoo with Altongal and her children. We got to see the butterflies (my favourite, close to the penguins), the insects for the boys, the reptiles for Teabringer and the train for the youngest amoungst us. I hope Altongal got to see something she wanted as well. After a few hours in the sun I hurried home to get ready for an evening with the British Ladies' murder mystery party. Many thanks are due to The Tuxedoed Prince for resecuing me and driving me all evening. Favours of uncommon proportions are owed, especially given the short notice. It was a good night, and when I came home Teabringer had gone out to his party, so between us we got to see all sorts of people.

Then today we got to see The Graphic Poet and Trend Setter for brunch (There was some discussion of screen names, perhaps I should have mentioned that they have already been christened). We rapidly found a topic to expand upon. Look out for the advent of eZchurch (no pun intended). I promise I will run a Mage game this month. I have been lax. I apologise. Now all there is to do is some shopping and cleaning for the arrival of Teabringer's Mum on Tuesday. A happy weekend.

...I just learnt that Teabringer tends not to read my blog. Apparently he wants me to be able to complain about him in privacy.

No comments: