Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Flood!

On Monday night Teabringer came home and said, "There's a weird whooshing noise from next door, I'm going to go take a look."
Next door has been empty for a few weeks now, with much speculation as to why the owner left. But moving on with our tale of heroism. Teabringer took the large torch and ventured over there. Water was pouring into the basement and was about 4" deep. He came back home, "It's flooded."
"Call the water company, or the fire brigade, or the police" says I, having less of a neighbourly spirit than my husband.
He called the water company. They say call a plumber, it's private property and nothing to do with them. I'm poised to call U City and have them deal with it when Teabringer asks "How do you turn the water off?" (Plumbing is usually my department).
I explained about the stop cocks and where to find them and he goes out of the back door. I put my boots and coat on and went with him.
Investigating further it looked like pipes had burst after the cold snap, water was pouring over the electrics. Turned out the basement door was open, so after a little debate Teabringer went in. He got all the water turned off, but the basement was still flooded. I'm waiting to see someone going into or out of the house so I can tell them what went on. And ask them to turn the gas off.

I think that house may turn into a problem.

3 comments:

SixFoot Hobbit said...

Worry when the house begins to... lurk...

Anonymous said...

aargh! Is that the house with the angry dog or the one at the end?

A Whole Can of Plot said...

The one at the end. The yellow one.