Wednesday, February 22, 2006

On Writing

It's been an odd few of weeks (months?) writing-wise. I've produced some very empty work. I know it's empty, I've been experimenting with hopelessness. Some of my readers have been disturbed. I was very worried about this: no longer. I've decided it's okay if some people don't like what I write. At least they're having a strong reaction and some of the recent stuff has produced a lot of reaction.

I finished 'A Wraith's Devotion'. Some people still want more of the moment at the end. I think I'm done with it. I'm going to tweak it one last time and send it. Some readers will still be unsatisfied, but it's done. I can't tell you more without making it blatent. Perhaps I still lack the skill to do this well. Maybe I will return to it later.

There have been several interesting discussions about why people write over the last few days. Many people who write are in a great deal of pain. Some are not. There is some disagreement about whether or not this kind of emotional agony is necessary to the creative process. I tend to think not. I also think that many people who write do it either to get something out of thier system, or to escape themselves. I have written for both these reasons; I've also written purely for enjoyment.

My best work is for enjoyment. Catharsis is well and good, but a hard place to write well from.

No comments: