Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Iguanas

Last night, at WUTA, we laughed. I mean really laughed. It felt great. It's a long time since I was in such a large and joyful group. This largely came down to Translyvanian Dutch's poems about Iguanas. I should explain about Iguanas. Just before Christmas the B&N asked us to stop reading the more adult scenes and the individual swear words. There were many people in the group who objected on the grounds of free speech and for the most part they were the people creating the problems (of course). Anyway, after some to-ing and fro-ing, in the end it was decided that scenes could be printed and silently read, and individual words could be substituted for 'Iguana'. Transylvanian Dutch's poems were about real Iguanas and were good, but nonetheless it cause child-like glee amoungst enough of us to have some genuine mirth.

I didn't read last night. I have been on a marketing bent, but if I'm honest this is because I got an edit back for The Wonderful Editing Lady of a short story I had been happy with. Very happy, in fact. So happy I'd sent it out already. There was more red than type. I read the comments and they were mostly subjective, but still, I felt like the rug had been pulled from under my feet.

I will bounce back, but for now I'm slightly purturbed.

No comments: