Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Snow and Stories

WUTA was a lot of fun last night. We had a good variety of stuff and some useful comments. I came away feeling competant, if a little worried. I wrote a short story in my usual vein, but it was actually a short story which could possibly be a progeny selection for Sophia in Shadows of St Louis. They liked it. A lot. They think I should publish rather than just putting it up here. This was the good thing. The less good thing was that there was concern about the reason I write stories about miserable women at dinner. The answer is, I don't really know. These are the stories which speak to me, I find them very easy to write and they seem to be the ones that are popular with editors. I'm sorry if I disturb you. I am a happy person, honestly.

It's snowing quite heavily today. This makes me happy. I feel more at home in the snow, the world is closer and it feels like there is less sky. It also means the city is at that wonderful temperature which seems to suit me so well.

I need to correct Weakness, Black Dust, Searching for a Soul Mate and the story from last night (it needs a better title, I'm still considering Prodigy) , and send them out. I have a stack of things to find homes for. This is the problem with writing very short fiction, I have more marketing to do. I dislike marketing. I also have to send out the jornalism stuff, I know...it should be done now, but I keep picking up the lists and getting scared.

I will have lunch with Anarkey today. That always cheers me. I also have game tonight, I usually look forward to this, but I confess I have some apprehension going into the game. We will see, it might be a good night.

I have had two lovely things happen to me in the last twelve hours. Transylvanian Dutch lent me what may well be his entire Peter David collection, after I mentioned how much I enjoyed Sir Aprops of Nothing. Including the comics (he knows me so well). And the Poetry Doctor call me just as I was making my tea this morning to read me the poem he had written after a challange last night. Thanks guys; you make me smile.

2 comments:

John said...

err, no, not by a longshot. I have more. He's rather prolific. Especially in the comic genre.

Anonymous said...

In fact, I've got some of his early X-Factor stuff (nothing to do with the excruciating UK talent show), if you want to borrow it and he's writing a couple of new Marvel series now that are worth looking at...